We talk a lot about Chlorella being a superfood, but there is another one that is surprising and much less talked about and that is LIVER!!!
Yes, that’s right, liver. We eat almost no organ meat anymore in first world countries. I agree, it is not as tasty as a Filet or New York Strip, but it is loaded with a lot more nutrients.
Liver meat provides you with:
- B12 (50% of Americans are deficient in B12)
- Vitamin A (Liver meat has Vitamin A in its most bio-available form)
- CoQ10 (Good for healthy cardio-vascular function)
- Copper (Helps with energy production, iron metabolism and brain function)
- B2 (Riboflavin helps turn food into energy)
- B9 (Folate plays a role in the formation of DNA)
- Choline (Important for liver function and brain development)
- Iron (Liver meat has the most easily absorbable form of iron)
One concern of eating liver is getting too much Vitamin A, but all the studies showing Vitamin A to be harmful used synthetic Vitamin A. The Vitamin A in liver meat is obviously natural and is important. It would take ingesting an insane amount before ever being harmful.
I would not eat liver from factory farm animals, the same way I would not eat the regular meat from those animals.
I would get liver from grass-fed cows or from wildlife, like deer and elk.
If you can eat 4 ounces of liver, twice a week, that would be terrific. If you think the taste is disgusting, you can get a supplement for organ meat.
Hunters go get some liver this hunting season! 😉